The journey: Intro.

This year as every other mortal human, I set my new years' resolutions: writing, running, having more creative outlets and reading. 
So, today I was reading my first book and one of the characters (an older guy living in Brooklyn) was commenting on how he was planning to die. 
This made me realize how many of us plan our deaths, how obsessively we focus on the end game, the result, the finish line. And it's part of what I was saying about the psychology of the struggle:
We are constantly suffering to get to the end result. In other words:
We either sacrifice the present in name of the future or mope about the past and what it could've been. 
In rehab, we used to call this a normal behavior for addicts, the main source of pain, but I haven't met anyone living any different. My family at least: when I have money, when I lose those pounds, when I have time, when I'm strong enough, blah, blah, blah. 
I just realized this is the main cause of fights between me and my mom.
She lives for the future. 
So, me, telling her about this blog and other ideas, her mind, automatically travels in time, to five years from now: "yeah, you could do this, and improve your views by adding blah, blah, and how about hiring people afterward and getting this app that will help you improve SEO for your page..." 
Sure, that helps, and I'm loving the support. But what can I do now? Nobody knows. 
The thing is, regardless, we have to learn, with baby steps, to enjoy the ride. 
This isn't new, I'm not saying some history-changing-argument: just learn to enjoy the ride. 
So, I'm developing: 
Ways to tell that you're NOT enjoying the ride. 
How to change your situation.
I'm not done, but I'll be up in a couple of days... 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Let's talk about addiction: First step

Who are you?

Midnight rant: Kill the cow

Midnight rant: the psychology of the struggle

Let's talk about addiction: Personality check