The generation gap

"Love is a bridge, not a wall."
Capheus Onyango - Sense 8

My mom is an amazing boss. She has grown professionally so much, especially considering the "disadvantages" she had to struggle with. She now has become the ultimate millennial boss: she validates her employees' efforts, home-office is always an option, creativity is welcome and encouraged and freedom is a constant. She is one yoga and meditation space short of being every new-age-vegan-creative-alternative-living-young person's dream.

However, the other day someone asked her about working with millennials to what she answered "Omg, they're the worst, so emotional and want a participation medal every time. Entitled and whiny". Of course, as her millennial daughter, I was offended af. So I tried to figure out what's up with "us", and why we are like this: lazy, mopy, mess. And I found out, what must of us already know: we are a pretty cool generation immersed in a profuse era of growing technologies, victims of a consumerist ideology that never has been sustainable and sons of a polluted world in which we constantly find out that everything is toxic, while trying to compete professionally and personally in the most educated and worst paid generation of working force ever. I found a bunch of blogs, tweets, and content on young people complaining about the previous generations attitudes towards them and the same going back and forwards.
The generation gap isn't new. People hating on people isn't new.

But how about easing it a little? I know my mother was raised with different values, expectations, and dreams. She was raised in a different world and so was I. And now, we have to co-exist. Fuck. But, the truth is I need her. And I started thinking about all the things I need from her, she is a strong, hard-working woman, with many things to be admired. Some of them I might not agree with, and maybe we are very different but, how much more could I grow if I met her halfway? How much more could I grow if I met all of her generation halfway? And if they did the same, helping us with the current environmental crisis, while helping with our struggles? Wouldn't life be much simpler and happier?
Why not focus on the love and try to get past our differences?

Nothing new: just helping each other instead of hating on each other.  

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Let's talk about addiction: First step

Midnight rant: the psychology of the struggle

How to handle "should"

Mentally ill millennials

Running